This post was written by Anjali Chatterjee with additional information from Joy Marshall.
I never realized the importance of shoes until a recent trip I took to New York for a job interview. I was only going for one night, so I packed one pair shoes- a pair of formal, heeled leather booties. After my interview, I went out for a casual dinner with friends. There I realized that these shoes absolutely did not match with any outfit besides my business attire. Wearing a skirt, top, leather jacket and these shoes I felt so mismatched! Even on my way home in a pair of sweats, I had to wear these formal shoes! I felt like such a mess.
That’s when I figured out that every great outfit is tied together by an even better pair of shoes. Your shoe selection can make or break your outfit. There’s absolutely nothing worse than an amazing outfit being ruined by a pair of shoes that don’t match! But everyone has faced the struggle of wondering what shoes to wear and when. And now with the countless number of different shoe styles and trends available it can get even more confusing. Don’t stress about buying a new pair of shoes for every occasion -here are 8 must-have styles that are sure to fulfill all your shoe needs.
1. Everyday Sneakers. I think we all know that the idea that sneakers are only good for the gym is completely outdated. Today wearing a trendy pair of sneakers effortlessly makes your outfit cooler. Personally, I am a huge fan of wearing platform or high top sneakers, such as Converse or Adidas. These shoes are both comfortable and cute- and you can wear them around every day for your more casual occasions.
2. Basic pumps. Having a good pair of heels is a necessity in any girl’s wardrobe. A pair of black or nude pair of pumps is seriously so necessary no matter for a date night, work event, or even something as fancy as a wedding. You have no idea how much having a pair of simple yet classy heels can save you in a pinch!
3. Sandals. Depending on where you live, you definitely experience some sort of summer. When it’s warm a cute pair of sandals are so necessary for when flip-flops just won’t cut it. I personally think a good pair of gladiator sandals are the most important summer staple. You can pair them with any casual or dressy outfit and they will work, and make your summer outfits so much cuter.
4. Ankle booties. A good pair of ankle booties is always necessary for today’s woman. Whether you are running errands or meeting a friend for lunch you can always dress ankle booties up or down. They add a chic touch to a plain outfit of jeans and a t-shirt yet are also stylish enough to pair with a dress. Ankle booties are one of the most versatile shoes and are definitely necessary in your closet.
5. Flats. Everyone has their own opinion whether flats are cute or ugly, but I believe they are a necessity. There are so many events that come up that are too fancy for sandals or sneakers, yet too casual for a heeled shoe. For these types of events, flats are the perfect solution. My favorites right now are espadrille flats that tie at the ankle, but any flat works. I have had a pair of Tory Burch ballerina flats in my closet for so many years and I still wear them all the time!
6. Boots. Even if you don’t live somewhere cold boots are definitely needed in your closet. For those who live in colder locations, I don’t need to tell you the importance of good warm boots. For those lucky few who don’t have to experience winter, you can never go wrong with a thigh high boot. I know this trend seems risky, but they dress up any outfit just the right amount. Pair black thigh high boots with jeans and a cute top and you’ll have an eye-catching going out outfit in a flash.
7. Heeled sandals. Of course, you need more than just one pair of heels! For when you are dressing up for a less formal occasion, heeled sandals are perfect. Especially over the summer, heeled sandals work for your day and nighttime looks. You can wear them at work and out at night and they will look casual yet classy. These are a more casual option to a pair of pumps.
8. Running shoes. And of course, everyone needs a pair of workout shoes. These don’t have to be the ratty old gym shoes you have in mind! I love the new line of Nike Roshe sneakers, they are simple, clean, and tie together your workout outfit. Having a great pair of running shoes that you feel awesome in will make your workout so much better.
With these different styles of shoes, you’ll be able to style any outfit no matter the occasion, day, or even season. Don’t overcrowd your closet and waste money on dozens of shoes you will barely ever wear, keep it simple with just these 8.
This post was written by Anjali Chatterjee with excerpts from Joy Marshall for Chic Galleria Publications, LLC.
Get Free Resources!
Are you ready to build your dream wardrobe? Join 15,000 others just like YOU. Sign up for my newsletter and gain access to my library of free resources filled with tons of checklists, worksheets, guides, and more!